Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 25, 2014

I'm getting a little tired of this whole 'polar vortex' cycle

of snow followed by brutal temperatures. We're warming up today to the 20s with an additional 3-6 inches possible of snow, and then the temperatures are going to plunge in a day or so back to the subzero range. Our homeless and warming shelters are full, the electrical grid is somewhat delicate and people have lost power. And we're lucky compared to places in the Northeast as far as the snow goes. The sustained cold really has been a problem.

I was going to try to get an oil change on the car tomorrow, but that's not going to happen. On top of the snow issue, there's a whiteout possibility as winds whip up and blow the snow. I've already told A and YKWIA that I'm not coming over tomorrow, and that we can try to do the grocery run on Sunday. The main roads were dry this afternoon; but streets in residential areas such as mine are still packed snow with a glazing of ice on them as slush froze in the cold temperatures--another few inches, or even just one or two, will make it all the more difficult to get to those main roads, which are going to take a day or so to get clear again. While I was at their house earlier, I dropped off a DVD from Netflix so they can get cozy and watch it tomorrow while it snows. My plans are to catch up on a few things here. I didn't watch 'Grimm' tonight, for example, as I took a nap, but I recorded it and will watch tomorrow. And there's 'Downton Abbey' to consider. But there's also game notes and stuff around the house I can do. I also need to call Brenda to see is she can take me for some oral surgery that's coming up in a couple of weeks. I've got it set up so I can stay with friends afterwards so they can watch me for a few hours' afterwards and then I can drive home the next day.

Last night I filled up the fish tanks as they were getting low, especially the big one. I was a little worried about the heater blowing without enough water covering it. Besides, that's gets the fish squared away for awhile. I also changed the carbon filter in the big tank. I didn't realise it, but I'm out of the cartridges for the small one, and so I need to get a pack of those from Meijer's soon. I really want to vacuum the gravel out in both tanks; I may do that tomorrow if I can get it to work. Those self-starting vacuums never work well for me--I can never get them to start right--and I'm sure not going to try to do it by suction after I have oral surgery, so maybe now is a better time.

Physical therapy is going well and I'm already finding some relief with the pain and numbness in my arm. Tomorrow I'm going to do my exercises, since I'll have time, as well as maybe a little of those workout DVDs I ordered, if I can rearrange the living area nicely for more room. I have PT again on Monday, and then have my teeth cleaned on Tuesday. No word yet on whether we're playing the game or not on Sunday; that'll depend on the snow and Brenda, I suspect. Better to go ahead and do the notes tomorrow though, just in case.

Okay, I woke up around midnight for awhile, but I'm ready to go back to sleep. Have a good night, and stay safe and warm.

No comments: