Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, November 13, 2009

An odd sort of Friday the 13th

Today I woke up pissed over several little things and walked to the bus stop just dreading going to work today. But as the day unfolded, that really evaporated. Here's some details from my day:
  1. The bus that was supposed to come pick us up broke down, so they sent a small shuttle bus around instead, so I got to work on time. I did feel sorry for the young woman and man who always get the same bus I do in the Idle Hour loop--the shuttle was full so it just didn't run through that part of the route, so they were stranded. I wasn't able to get a bus pass from Kroger (apparently they aren't being sent them anymore), so until I can, I have to pay $1 a ride.
  2. I try to sit on the side of the bus nearest the side of the road in the morning because of the reservoir. I always look for the ducks who live there, as they cavort about. Every now and then I see a heron or a turtle. Today there were many ducks fishing and swimming in the water.
  3. I was annoyed that the ATM at work didn't have any cash in it, so I wouldn't be able to eat lunch in the cafeteria, and I really couldn't order out. I did get a bagel, cream cheese, and some sugar-free grape jelly, along with a drink, and still had enough for the bus ride back.
  4. Instead of eating, though, I went straight to work on a request I'd been unable to complete the day before. I put Spanish language books back on the book cart (I do wish they'd decide whether they want them or not), filled up the rest of the cart, and 45 minutes after I started, finally returned to my desk and signed into the computer.
  5. I was going to eat my bagel, but wait! A message had gone out an hour and a half earlier that H1N1 vaccine was available through infection control. Now I had known they got it yesterday, but I think they were giving them to those in direct patient care first, because there was a lot of activity around the office. I was afraid they'd be out. So I checked, and no, there still was some, so I FINALLY GOT MY SWINE FLU SHOT! Yay! Plus, I haven't had any reaction, even soreness at the injection spot or a headache. One person I knew had a severe reaction, but she was allergic to an antibiotic that the health department apparently didn't disclose as a contraindication, whereas our sheets had it listed. Anyway, I'm glad I got my shot, especially as I went in to my other job later and one of the employees with whom I haven't had contact in about a week is sick with what he thinks is H1N1 flu. Lovely.
  6. We got new copiers in the library today! They're more compact than the others, as is the wont of new technology, but they do the same thing, plus WE CAN SCAN TO E-MAIL. Do you know how much easier that means an Interlibrary Loan is now? I got to try one out, too, on the colour copier, and whereas the last machine had to be told whether an original was colour or not, this one senses it automatically. Whoopee! But I no longer have to go into Microsoft Scanning, scan to .tif, convert to .pdf, and then e-mail from a computer. Now the machine just scans it as per a copy and sends it straight to my e-mail, and I can forward that on to whomever needs it. Yay! They also seem to operate faster and smoother than the old ones.
  7. Then it turned out that because of the seminar/meeting on Tuesday, I was ahead on my time and had to clock out by one. I left on the 1:30 bus and got home a little before 2 pm. I ate something, since I had not had lunch, and then I took a short nap.
  8. I nearly tripped over a wooly worm on my way into work at the gas station. :)
  9. Unfortunately one of our co-workers never showed up, and we couldn't reach her, so we worked extra hard on putting the truck away, and I got to do the cigarettes (sort cartons, climb on a ladder, and put the cartons together like Tetris blocks or those puzzles where there's a square of tiles except for one space, and you move the tiles around until a picture forms.) I had a lot of boxes to date as well. But we got everything put away and I was only scheduled until 9, so I left about 9:15 after letting the other cashier take care of any necessities before leaving him by himself.
  10. My boss at the gas station had asked if I could switch hours due to the sick co-worker and so tomorrow I'll be working 2-10 like I have been lately. I still don't think I can swing the book sale, but the time works out for me better, and I should be able to get some laundry done before I work, too.

:)

No comments: