Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Celebrating coming home, and the love of a dog

Lt Andrew Schmidt posted a video over a year ago of his dog's welcome when he returned from deployment back in 2005 that has recently become viral. The sheer exuberance of the dog and the emotion of coming home are heartening.



Gracie was saved by the Alexandria, Virginia animal shelter in 2004 and Lt Schmidt has used the video to promote their work and is donating any money from the ad clicks to them.

Okay, I admit it, I cried. The sheer joy of the dog reminded me of the loss of my own. But I'm aunt to several and they, too, greet me much like this. I wish every dog had the opportunity to love their human companion so avidly. Sadly, that is not the case. Perhaps this video will encourage more people to adopt pets who otherwise would never know a loving home.

Thanks to Buffy for sharing the video.

No comments: