Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, August 20, 2017

The dog

Figured out today that my bed is, indeed, a bed, mainly because I sat on it and tried it out for reading. It's pretty high and not really comfortable for reading (hopefully sleeping will be better--it's a Sealy mattress). I've never done well reading propped up on pillows, although the study pillow I have might help. With it being a bookcase bed with empty shelves as of right now, the pillows tended to recede into the openings.

The dog really wanted up, but I know if I let her once, it will be her bed, and there's really not enough room on a full bed for me and a 75-lb dog. Besides, the cat has already claimed it as his. :) The other dog can't get up on it, as far as jumping, I don't think, as it is very high, she is older, and she used to jump a lot and it's left her with some arthritis. She could climb up on the sofa that is temporarily at the end. But she knows better.

I'm a little afraid my weight will hurt the bed, so I'm being careful. There is a bunkie board underneath the mattress to help distribute weight, but still, I'm not confident.

I did do some reading. I starting to reread Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books. I read the first two trilogies when I was young and they first came out. I haven't read the last quartet. I own all the books but the last one and was going to leave them out from the packing, but wound up packing them because one was separated from the rest and I wasn't sure where it was (I found it later). So I found the first trilogy  together as a set on the Kindle. I also have all of Madeline L'Engel's Time books, but couldn't find Many Waters for some reason. So I may do the same for that. I do have the first three accessible, plus An Acceptable Time and one other.

Okay, I think I'll sign off. Looking forward  to the eclipse tomorrow, despite the fact that I'll be at work. I have my eclipse glasses in my bag and plan on taking a break near the climax. My boss said I could, and I can cover for the other person if she'd like to see it. Happy viewing! Be safe!

No comments: