Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Question

Have any of you used a set of 'powerline adapters' as an Ethernet connexion in a house? These are inexpensive adapters that use the existing home wiring to transmit data, can be encrypted, and as far as I can tell, the signal would be unable to be read from outside due to the transformer scrambling it between the home and street. I am going to be moving in with a friend who refuses to have WiFi in his house, mainly over security concerns. I have a 5GB Hotspot through my phone I can use to connect my laptop to the Internet, but an Ethernet connexion would be better and it would be nice if I could do so on my end of the house rather than in his library, nor do I want to run a lot of wires. This seems to be an option. Any ideas or suggestions?

No comments: