Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Whew!

I just sent my review for an excellent book called Leading Libraries: How to Create a Service Culture by Wyoma vanDuinkerken and Wendi Arant Kaspar to my editor for review, barely making the deadline (well, technically, yes it was due today, but it would have been better if I'd gotten it in during business hours). But with the scheduling gig, life has been pretty hectic the last three weeks, plus stuff in my personal life (even the really happy things) have just made for a very busy bee. But it's submitted, yay. If accepted, it'll be my 33rd publication and (I think) 15th book review, as one is in process right now and should be published next month (I corrected the proofs a couple of weeks ago), and the others have all been published. Now this one is starting its way to publication.

Today was a little better in scheduling, as I actually was able to get away from the phone a bit and go get a drink or use the bathroom, whereas yesterday I was glued to the phone the whole three hours. Today was also about catching up on some things in the revenue cycle and library aspects of my job, too. I worked very steadily all day. After work, I went to the optometrist and had my eyes examined. I got a prescription for both glasses and contacts, although I'm using my vision benefit for the contacts, since that's what I wear most. That means I won't be able to get new glasses until this time next year, unless I pay for it myself. Maybe I'll increase my flexible spending account a bit to allow that, so I can get them earlier. This year the FSA worked pretty well--I have $59 left in my account, and a $40 bill from a doctor's office from before I met my out-of-pocket expenses, which I need to go ahead and pay. The other nice thing was that my vision has actually gotten a little better in one eye and remained unchanged in the other--we weakened my prescription a notch.

The practice I go to is Abel, Klecker, and Robbins, and they are associated with Pal Optical, so afterwards I went around to that side and asked about getting some eyeglass cleaner and also if they could check and adjust my glasses, which were slightly off, which they did. They also gave me the eyeglass cleaner and a cloth at no cost, as well as a case (I had my other pair of glasses with me, and my trial contacts in, and when he saw I didn't have an extra case for the other, I think the optician couldn't bear to have me just put the glasses in my bag without one). All this, and I wasn't actually getting new glasses with them right now. Of course, I'll go there for my glasses when I do get them--I have for years and they've always done a great job and had great customer service. And the eye doctor had given me a trial cleaning kit with new case and (dum, dum, dum) the little bottle of cleaning solution that is perfect for travelling, better than the so-called travel version, which goes quickly through airport screenings. This is good, as I'll be heading beck to Chicago in November, most likely.

And even though I've been home for two or so hours, I haven't taken the trial contacts out, so I could check them out. I've done a lot of reading and writing, and they seem to be making things clearer than they were. Road signs were also pretty clear as long as they weren't too far away. So I think I'll call in a day or two and order the contacts. I'll know for sure after I do my data entry tomorrow. They're bifocal (or more properly, multifocal) lenses, and they help with looking back and forth between the computer screen and the small print on my charge sheets.

Otherwise, I'm in comfy clothes; I am actually not feeling sleepy, though, so I think I might watch something. So, this is good night, I think. Have a great evening.

No comments: