Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Well, just phooey

I laid down for awhile, and then YKWIA called me and we talked for a good hour-and-a-half or so on the phone, and then I got up and put up the new shower curtain liner (what can I say, I use a clear liner with an open weave black cloth curtain you can see through. Years ago, when we lived in the same house and there was a connecting door, YKWIA hid in my shower and scared the beejesus out of me when I got home. At the time, I had a lovely opaque aqarium curtain. No more of that, for years now--I like to see through). I also put the recyclables into bags for transport, and in the process of getting the bits out of the bottom, I knocked into the shelving the container was near, ever so gently, but a ceramic pentacle a gaming buddy gave me years ago toppled to the floor and shattered. Unlike the past, where I'd hoard the pieces thinking I'd somehow make it whole, I chucked it in to the garbage, salvaging only the plate holder, which may still be useful. I am sorry to see it go--it was a nice gesture on her part, and it looked nice in its space. But I'm practicing keeping emotionally detached from things, so I don't hoard them, so there we go. See, it's not that I'm really a materialist. I just form emotional attachments to things that I shouldn't. Oh, that teddy bear will never find a home. Oh, I remember this when I was a little girl. That sort of thing. So we're not going to do that this time. I appreciate that Dee gave it to me, and it was nice for the years I had it. I'm sorry it broke. But its time is at an end, unfortunately. But I do wish I weren't a klutz.

I did take the old liner and the recylables out, so that leaves doing something fun for about an hour until it's time to go to bed. I have some DVDs I've been meaning to watch, but they're a couple of hours long. So I think I'm going to read. I have a book out from the library on the 1854 London cholera epidemic that was the turning point in public health, when the source of the cholera was found. It's called The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World, by Steven Johnson, or there's Hollow City by Ransom Riggs, the second novel of the series begun by Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which I own, but it's currently being borrowed by a friend, so I downloaded it onto my Kindle from the library. I should go ahead and read it. I loved the first book, and there is apparently already a third one out, Library of Souls.

No comments: