Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 04, 2008

Okay, I'm not graceful

but is it wrong to wish for just a shred of grace?

I went to leave a friend's a few minutes ago, going out into the storm and the cold rain. The rain has been falling for a couple of days so the gutter above the door was overflowing. I dodged the cascade of rainwater (I had a book in my purse, which doesn't zip, so that was of main concern), then realised the wind had grabbed the screen door. I went back to push the door shut and then stepped back--and off the porch entirely. I think I brushed one step before skipping the other entirely. I careened down the small hill partway into the yard, twisting my ankle as I went, finally coming to rest about a foot from a tree, nearly hitting it. I fished my wallet out of the grass and threw away a couple of things I'd been taking out to the trash. I looked back through the window. My friend was quietly reading, oblivious to the comedy going on in his front lawn. I limped over to the car, got in, and made it back home without incident. I was soaked to my skin and I'll no doubt be sore tomorrow. Fortunately the book made it through without any damage (the important thing when you're a librarian, right?)

Argh.

No comments: