Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, September 14, 2006

What is your favourite banned book?

The American Library Association is doing a survey. Readers of all ages can vote for their favorite challenged book. Organized by age group, the books all have faced expulsion from U.S.schools and libraries in the last 25 years. Votes will be tallied and announced Monday, October 2.

I had trouble getting it to take mine, so I may try again later. It seemed there were server problems. But I will include a couple of responses so I'll have them saved for later.

The book I chose was the Diary of Anne Frank. It won narrowly over To Kill a Mockingbird. I enjoyed both immensely as a teenager.

In response to Why is This Your Favourite Book? Do You Have Another One? I put:

Anne Frank's Diary did so much to put a face on the millions of people who perished in the Holocaust, particularly to young people her own age. The censorship of her words began with her own father, who felt some things did not reflect well on his family or were too racy. It's great to now have editions where that has been restored. But it's the sexual issues that particularly get challenged, and of course, it is an adolescent's nascent sexuality, which surely is of interest and use to young adults.

It was hard to choose between this and To Kill a Mockinbird. Anne's words, which are a true accounting rather than fiction, trumped this excellent story of racism.

In response to Why Should We Celebrate the Freedom to Read?

As a child, books were my lifeline. I would, over the summer, read six a day. Because I was somewhat a neglected child with limited experience in the world, books became my window into others' experiences and to other worlds of fantasy as well. Books stimulate the imagination and reading is as far as I'm concerned as important (and comforting) as eating. Those who would wish to take away books generally do not understand this love of reading or the importance that all ideas flourish openly.
I can not imagine a world in which I could not read.

No comments: