Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Menthol cigarettes may be harder to quit

according to a study looking at the differences between menthol and regular cigarettes, those who smoke them, and long-term outcomes for those smokers trying to quit. It has certain racial implications, since more blacks than whites smoke menthol, due to cultural differences and marketing by the big tobacco companies--which may help explain the disparities in diseases that result from smoking among the black community. There was no difference in how dangerous the menthol ones were compared to regular cigarettes, but since they apparently taste better, they may be more difficult to quit.

I don't smoke myself (thankfully, I'm one of two who don't in my immediate family, and we've buried two of them from lung cancer and emphysema respectively). But I do, unfortunately, sell cigarettes as part of my duties as a gas station attendant. A friend is convinced that I will damage my karma by doing so, and he may be right. Certainly anecdotally I've seen that blacks seem to prefer Kools and Newports (both menthol) than say, Marlboro Lights, which mainly seem to be preferred by white smokers. Blacks also overwhelmingly buy cigars and cigarillos. Likewise, Virginia Slims are almost exclusively a women's cigarette, again not surprisingly, due to the marketing of that product.

In a related matter, the suit against the tobacco companies concerning their use of 'light' and 'low-tar'--both of which are designed to make them seem healthier when they aren't--has been given class action status and will proceed. Companies may be forced to retract their claims and change their branding because of it.

I do think ultimately it is the person's decision to smoke. However, the tobacco companies have gone to a lot effort to mislead smokers and market a very addictive and dangerous product and should be held accountable for their actions.

No comments: