Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

One of those things you find because you're a librarian

The other day I got to identify Horse-Nettle (Solanum carolinense) for someone. I like the whole 'let's start with a plant and figure out what in the world it is' kind of question...I get to mix librarianship with gardening. Plus, in this case, I could point out that as a nightshade it was poisonous and that precautions should be taken when weeding, although the berries are more poisonous than the plant itself. Hmmm...this is the kind of question that fits well in a murder mystery library, isn't it? :) Fortunately I don't think I have to worry about that here. Still...it's a sticky (no pun intended, as horse nettle is covered in sharp thorn-like projections) ethical dilemma. I mean, if I were working in a public library and someone asked me about the plant, what would that mean? Gardening? Writing a book? Planning to poison grandma?

Sometimes I think too much. Unfortunately it's never when I need to.

No comments: