Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, October 22, 2004

Today's Blogsticker: President

listening to: 'Once More, with Feeling' from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the Musical)
feeling: Okay considering I just spilt Diet Coke over a good part of my desk!



I received an e-mail of late-night campaign humour and found this gem from Jay Leno:
In an interview in USA Today, Teresa Heinz Kerry said she didn't think Laura Bush, who was a public school librarian for nine years, had ever held a 'real job.' Let me tell you something, if you're a librarian married to George W. Bush, there is no harder job on earth.

So right!

Autumn is in full swing in Kentucky...the leaves are changing, I can see the wetlands behind my apartment clearer because the treeline has shed many of them. Some of the fruit trees are having that 'second-burst' of flowers here and there that missed out on spring. My allergies are their normal fall impediment. Election day will soon be here and gone, and life as channelled through the media can return to normal for a bit.

I'm enjoying the new job, although Monday is the first night we'll be on the phones, so that will truly tell if I'm any good at 'selling' public television to people. One great thing about being a state employee is that I get paid for holidays, even as a part-timer (I'm not sure that's true for the telemarketing gig, which is contract work, but it is for my distance learning position). That includes Election Day, Veteran's Day, and two days for Thanksgiving next month. I think I'm going to take the first couple of days of November off from the hospital and have a nice, long weekend. For one, it's my main religious holiday (Samhain). For another, a friend who's very politic-oriented is taking some time off to campaign and recover from the aftermath of the election, and his birthday is that weekend but we'll probably have to celebrate it a little later because he'll be visiting family. So that will give us a chance to do something.

Then on the 3rd I learn my fate in terms of setting up surgery for the carpal tunnel. I'm hoping that I can have the left hand done sometime by late November (maybe just before Thanksgiving?) and then the right after the phone gig ends mid-December, for recovery during the holidays. I have plenty of extended illness time and personal time off if I need it, but I don't think I have to be off much. One woman I knew went back to work the next day, but others have taken off a week, especially with the dominant hand. But if I can do that, it'll be great for work and I could be recovered by the time 2005 swings into action. I can't believe this, but I'm looking forward to the surgery, and more importantly, feeling my hands and ending the pain I've been having. I've been functioning, of course...I gave up sewing years ago but of course still keyboard, shelve books, all the things I have to do, it's just causing me quite a bit of pain now, and once I have the surgery that should improve quickly, and it's rare for it to recur again.

Well, that's all for now. Happy Friday!

No comments: