Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Today's Blogsticker: Lying

listening to: WEKU
feeling: Tired



I'm sorry for the dearth of posts lately. In addition to the standard lack of immediate access through most of the day, I've been busy with both the regular jobs (I finished one project for distance learning, and I've finally got to a bit of breathing room at the library) and at the new temp job. We had training on Wednesday and Thursday, then hit the phones Monday, which, since I worked all three jobs, was an 11-hour-day for me. Monday I only got $65 in pledges, but last night was $301! It starts out slowly because we call the people who have lapsed the longest first. But considering on Monday many of my leads had moved, or worse, died, yesterday was definitely better, and it's set up to improve as we go along. Tonight I suspece many people will be watching the World Series, so hopefully they won't be too enthralled to speak to us. At least we're not political pollsters. I think people are sick of getting things in the mail and getting phonecalls and visits. I have to admit, I will be happy once the election is over myself.

It's nice to be working full-time again, even if it's at three jobs and somewhat variable pay. The phone-a-thon at least has an opportunity to make quite a bit in the six weeks we're working. Plus, there's another in March to look forward to.

My hands have been causing me more pain lately, especially when I first wake up in the morning...they just clench in spasm. Warm water, massage, and pain relievers help, though, and I haven't been impaired in my work, although I'm finding it harder to give massages or do some fine motor skills. I'm hoping we can get this taken care of soon.

Otherwise I'm doing pretty well. I'm reading PD James' Adam Dalgliesh mysteries, and I'm on the third one in a 3-in-volume. I'm looking forward to an 11-day break from taxi duty (not that I mind it, but it makes for a late night when you pick someone up from work at midnight), so I'm hoping to get to bed earlier and catch up on some sleep. I've been going to bed between 2 and 4 for awhile.

I guess that's all for now. I miss being able to wind down online at night...I think that's one reason I'm having trouble sleeping. Maybe I can eventually get back on. A phone at home will certainly help with my job search! But for now, despite being tired, I'm finding something much more important...I feel useful again. I didn't realise how much my self-image had eroded after the job cut. I mean, I know it wasn't because of my work or anything, but it is always a blow when your job falls out from under you. Working full-time is actually helping me feel more capable again.

The classical music and gloomy day are making me feel sleepy. Time to go do something to keep me awake and ready for what lies ahead today. Ciao.

No comments: