Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, February 27, 2003

:(



I got two phone calls this morning of gloom. One was news that Mister Rogers had died. I loved Mister Rogers as a little kid, although I went through a "gag, how nice can any one person be?" phase in my 20s that put Mister Rogers right under Barney in terms of sugary evil and the sole purchaser of cardigans throughout the eighties and nineties. But in retrospect, we need more people like Fred Rogers in the world. If there were more like him, we wouldn't be hurtling toward a stupid war and living in a world marred by so much hatred. He will be sorely missed.

The second call had news of the cancellation of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. No more Buffy after this season? What will I do on Tuesday nights? There is supposed to be a spinoff in the works. But it's not the same. Fortunately there have been enough seasons that I'm sure Buffy will be slaying for years to come in syndication. See, I'm not such a rabid fan that I think it's the sign of yet another apocolypse. Still, Buffy and the scoobies will also be missed.

Beyond that, I feel a little better, having gone to sleep around 7 last night and crashing most of the night. I did wake up around 3am (fortunately) with my blood sugar bottoming out and managed to fortify myself with orange juice and peanut butter. On the whole, though, today seems better. It occurs to me that my attempt to post yesterday didn't go through at all. Suffice to say that yesterday I felt like the life had been sucked out of me, mainly because of a weather change. It was gloomy and snowy and just generally more oppressive winter ickiness.

[begin RANT]
For the record, I'm tired of winter. I'm tired of snow and ice. I want to see flowers and butterflies and hummingbirds. I want to see the sun! I want to be able to run around in short sleeves without freezing anything. I want to walk outside without seeing my breath. Hello! It's almost spring! Can't we have a little spring-like weather???
[end RANT]

Anyway, today's a little better. I don't know if it's the rest or just that the week is almost over and there seems to be better weather (sun???!!) coming this weekend, but it's great nevertheless.

No comments: