Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 28, 2003

Friday at last!



1. What is your favorite type of literature to read (magazine, newspaper, novels, nonfiction, poetry, etc.)?
Mystery and sci fi/phantasy

2. What is your favorite novel?
Just one???? Um...The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

3. Do you have a favorite poem? (Share it!)
"Fern Hill" by Dylan Thomas

It's fairly long. Here is the last stanza:

Nothing I cared, in the lamb white days, that time would take me
Up to the swallow thronged loft by the shadow of my hand,
In the moon that is always rising,
Nor that riding to sleep
I should hear him fly with the high fields
And wake to the farm forever fled from the childless land.
Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea.


4. What is one thing you've always wanted to read, or wish you had more time to read?
The Ramayana. I'm working on the Bhagavad Gita which is a subset of it. The Ramayana is an ancient text and at least in terms of ancient literature it was the world's longest poem. I'm not sure that's still the case. Still, there is much of Indian culture to be learnt from it, and it's probably closer to some of the beliefs of our "Indo-European" ancestors than most.

5. What are you currently reading?
I'm still wending my way through Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring. I started and finished Elizabeth Peters' The Seventh Sinner last night. I had no idea it was out there; I'd never seen it before I found it at the library, and it's a Jacqueline Kirby mystery! The one they keep referring to in Rome! So, satisfaction was to be had by getting the complete series under my belt. I'm also reading From the Ashes of Fallen Angels by Andrew Collins? (I don't have the book here). Interesting. He's no Biblical scholar, so there are sometimes some leaps that I don't think he can prove, but he brings up very interesting questions. His book is, I think, the main basis for another book I'm reading, Storm Constantine's Scenting Hallowed Blood. There's also Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. All I can say is thank the Gods I'm vegetarian. Oh, and there's Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg and Eccentric Circles by Rebecca Lickiss, and A Woman's Guide to the Language of Success: Communicating with Confidence and Power by Phyllis Mindell (since I'm working on job hunting). Obviously I put down books and pick them up as the mood strikes. Last night I was reading from fragments of the Dead Sea Scrolls. And of course there's the Bhagavad Gita. But that's everything current, I think. I have a couple more out from the library but I haven't gotten to them yet.

No comments: