Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, October 19, 2002

Okay, technically it's no longer Friday in my timezone, but I'm operating on the theory that it's still Friday somewhere on the planet....



1. How many TVs do you have in your home? 2; only one is hooked up; the other is one I still have from high school that works with some of the old video game players better due to its dials

2. On average, how much TV do you watch in a week? 5 hours per week

3. Do you feel that television is bad for young children? Generally, yes. PBS is an exception. I learned to read from Sesame Street and Electric Company, for example. But TV as a babysitter is definitely right out. Time limits are nice; locking cabinets are better, or just throwing the box out completely. I use mine mostly for videotapes--even my news and weather come from the Web. Also, TV should be watched with adult supervision into the early teens at least, and the child should feel free to talk to the parent about his or her thoughts on the story, subject, etc..

4. What TV shows do you absolutely HAVE to watch, and if you miss them, you're heartbroken? None. TV just isn't that important. Now, if at all possible, I watch: Buffy, Charmed, CSI, and now, Birds of Prey. CSI, I watch at home. Everything else I watch at a friend's, so really, I could easily be TV-less.

5. If you had the power to create your own television network, what would your line-up look like? Oh, a mixture of mysteries, science fiction, horror, educational (i.e. Discovery/PBS/History channel), cartoons, and international TV. I'd especially run the more esoteric/occult/psionic-related shows, ones that imagine other worlds or purport to solve ancient mysteries. I was just joking when I told Zabet and Hubby that I'd run Murder, She Wrote 24-7 until people's eyes bled from their sockets (although I dearly loved that show once upon a time). What I'd really like--and all you cable people out there listen up--is the ability to choose JUST the networks I'd like, tailor made to my interests. That way I could dump the sports and inspirational networks, the shopping and other insipid infomercial paradises, and concentrate on the aforementioned genres. So I'd have my local channels plus TLC, Discovery, History Network, BBC, Cartoon Network, Lifetime, A&E, etc., without the 40-70 channels I never watched. :)

No comments: