Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, October 07, 2002

I'm feeling a little better...



DBT helped (well, they do call it therapy, after all). I came home and finished Susan Wittig Albert's Witches Bane, a China Bayles mystery. I think taking a breather and reading helped, too. I've been working solidly for six weeks on getting our family resource centre ready, and doing quite a bit of running about after hours. I needed some time cuddled up with the animals and a mystery. I was a little disappointed--I knew who the killer was from the moment the character was introduced--but I think it's because I just have a nose for psychology. Maybe it's all the stuff I've been through, plus a lot of reading on serial killers and profiling. I haven't had that problem with the other series by Albert and her husband, who write as a team as Robin Paige. But it was only the second of the series, and I really enjoyed the characters. China reminds me of a gentler, kinder Anita Blake (fewer guns, no vampires or werewolves, but lots of committment issues/tough-as-nails attitude). Think cozy Anita, if that's possible.

It's a lot nicer than dealing with real life sickos like the sniper(s) who have apparently decided to go big game hunting around our nation's capitol. I get the need to create havoc and fear, and I'm sure there's some thrill in gunning down people instead of animals--but really, gunning down apparently random targets who are just going about their normal business, the latest a thirteen-year-old--well, it's a coward's way out. I mean, gee, how much does it take to take a rifle and scope (or whatever the hell's being used), pick out such thrilling targets as a woman sitting outside a post office, and pulling the trigger? Yeah, killing from a nice safe distance, no doubt from behind. If someone really is getting some sort of thrill off of that, then they're pretty damn pathetic, I'd say. Somehow I don't think that compares, to say, Hannibal Lector. Not to mention the location--oh, gee, let's go hunting in the FBI's backyard. Maybe that's the point--I don't know. But serial killers tend to escalate and get sloppier over time. The first shot was a miss, then several killings, now two survivors. Seems he/she is getting messy already. Here's to finding the sicko before anyone else dies.

Well, I've had my rant for the night. Take care.

No comments: