Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, October 21, 2002

I feel a little like Tinkerbell...



Today I expected the weather to be dreary and grey again. So, since I wanted to brighten things up, and I wanted to distract people from a thankfully small but annoying cold sore, I wore a new top that is purple with paisley-patterned black velvet and lots of silver glitter. I should point out that the main reason I bought this was for holiday parties; I'm a little too much of a stick-in-the-mud to gallavant around normally in sparkly things. Since today was actually quite sunny, I kind of felt like a purple and silver disco ball as I walked around campus. But it was a lot of fun to watch the sparklies. I also deposited large amounts of glitter like faerie dust wherever I went; my chair at work, the bus, the student centre, DBT. Ah, glitter--the gift that truly keeps on giving, because from there others will sit in those spots and take glitter back to their own homes, depositing it about all the way.

Tonight I also started reading Prospero's Children by Jan Siegel. It's written with beautiful language that's evocative of sea shanties, mournful ballads, and tales of magic. In tone compared to other books I've read it's probably closest to Patrick O'Leary's The Gift which is one of the finest novels I've ever read. So, I've been reading and listening to Loreena McKinnitt, so it's been very Otherworldly here tonight as a theme.

If I seem ever-so-much calmer, it's because my huge library project is essentially finished. I still have to do some cataloguing and ordering of more books (it's always lovely to discover that you still have more grant money to spend). Most importantly, the library itself has returned to order. Housekeeping has some things to take away for me, but otherwise everything's back in place. Yea! I feel like I moved a mountain of stuff. Oh, that's right, I did. The family resource room is quite cozy. There's a carpet, couch, books, bookcases, plants, and a TV/VCR for the videotapes. I've ordered a vertical file for pamphlets, newsletters, support group papers, etc. I think once we get it publicised it will be very helpful for our patients and their families.

I am, however, rather tired for some inexplicable reason. I think I may go on to bed a little early tonight. Hope everyone has a safe night and a happy tomorrow.

No comments: