Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, October 10, 2013

I have watched more TV this week than I usually do in a month

Part of that is I prefer to watch TV with other people, especially YKWIA, and part of it is that there are several supernatural shows this season that are either premiering or returning that we wanted to check out.

  1. Sunday: 'Witches of East End'--Interesting, kept me watching. Mystery mixed with witchcraft and curses. I really like Ingrid, but maybe part of that is because she is a librarian. :) The only downside to watching is that my Sundays are already very full with game prep and game, and it is on at 10 pm, so that's a late night before returning to work on Monday.
  2. Tuesday: 'The Originals'--I haven't watched 'The Vampire Diaries' beyond a few episodes (and that was recent), but I found this an intriguing series. I love how Claire Holt and Phoebe Tonkin--whom I watched as teenagers on 'H2O: Just Add Water'--are all grown up. Holt is the vampire, one of the Originals, Rebekah. Tonkin is a werewolf ensnared in a war between witches and the vampires of the French Quarter. They're both doing a good job.
    'Supernatural'--I like this show a lot, but I've pretty much watched hit or miss over the last eight years. I need to catch up via Netflix. I was a little disappointed in the season 9 opener, but it wasn't terrible, or anything, and set up what could be an interesting story arc.
  3. Wednesday: 'The Tomorrow People'--Let me preface this by saying that unlike the majority of the audience, I have actually seen both British series upon which this is based, and dearly loved the original from the 70s, especially. I see the CW is continuing to raid Australia and specifically 'H2O: Just Add Water' for actors and actresses, as Luke Mitchell, who played Will on that series, plays John in this one. The jury is out on this one--I am willing to give it a few episodes before making up my mind. But they kept the inability to kill in Homo Superior, and there's Tim, the artificial intelligence. They've added some intriguing aspects to the story as well. We'll see.
  4. 'American Horror Story: Coven'--I haven't see the first two seasons of AHS, although maybe I should watch, as much of the cast recurs even though the story and setting change, and there's some good acting here. It seems off to a good start. Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange were superb in their roles. The girls seem to very under-developed moral compasses, and with the exception of the Headmistress, it seems most of the witches portrayed so far do things primarily for self-interest or in response to strong emotions, and several seem, well, capricious. I didn't instantly form an attachment to any of the characters like I did with Ingrid of 'Witches of East End'. So we'll see.
Tomorrow night is 'The Vampire Diaries', but I haven't watched them for the most part, so I think I'll skip that. 'Big Bang Theory' is on tomorrow at the same time. 'Grimm' returns in a couple of weeks. I realised last night when I was freeing up space on the DVR that I have all 'Grimm' episodes but the pilot, and I really need to sit down and start watching them. I also have all but the first episodes of 'Once Upon a Time' on there. How I'm going to fit those in, I don't know, and the fact of the matter is, I prefer to watch with others. And I still have two seasons of 'Downton Abbey' to finish.

The problem with late-night TV, too, is that I'm home, yes, but I got home at midnight and it takes me awhile to settle down, so it's almost 2 am now and I have to get up at 7 or so. But they were fun (although the AHS was a bit disturbing, especially the slave scenes at the beginning.)

YKWIA also discovered that I've never seen the 'Blues Brothers'. We will have to put it in the queue from Netflix. I have 'Vibes' out right now, which I have seen but not for years, and we're going to watch that with A, who hasn't seen it, I don't think.

Okay, I think I should definitely go. Have a great night, a good week (hey, we're over the 'hump'), and at least the weekend's coming soon!

No comments: