Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Exactly one year ago today

at about 8:21 am, I was hit by a car while walking with the light in a crosswalk across Richmond Road at Eagle Creek on my way to catch the bus. The driver was a young Indian man who lived in my apartment complex. He was turning left on a yellow flashing arrow and his front left tyre ran over my foot, breaking two metatarsals, and while my leg was trapped, the side of the car hit me, causing my ankle to break and knocking me down. I was lucky it wasn't more serious (my glasses didn't even come off of my head), but it sidelined me to my apartment using a walker for three months. At first I had a splint, then surgery, another splint, eventually a boot. I didn't put any pressure on that foot until December 13th. Coincidentally, that was when I was finally allowed to bathe, although I had to use a shower chair. I finally returned to work on January 2nd, using a cane. The case was settled in late March, after my insurance company had eventually been billed and paid for my care (he had only minimum insurance, which was not enough for my medical expenses).

I'd like to thank some special people who really helped me out when I was down. First, my surgeon, Dr Bradford Fine of the Lexington Foot & Ankle Center, who did an excellent job of the open reduction and internal fixation surgery, where he put two screws in to fix my ankle. Secondly, I'd like to thank my lawyer, Julie Butcher, who brought me vegetarian chili, came to my house for consults and signing paperwork, etc. Without her help, I'd have so many medical bills that were still unpaid.

Brandon and Brenda took me to my appointments, on those rare times I went out, laboriously helping me climb the stairs outside my apartment on my hands and knees because I couldn't get up any other way, and they manhandled wheelchairs and kept me from falling. YKWIA and Brenda lifted me over the one step I couldn't get up into the apartment building on the day I was released after surgery. Brenda also bought me the best-tasting baked potato from Wendy's after 36 hours of nothing but ice chips. Bob McCray was my home health physical therapist, and he was excellent, although I still have his cane--we've never quite been able to meet up for me to return it. YKWIA called and played videos on YouTube that I would 'watch' along with him on my own computer. The folks at work were fabulous, showering me with food and cards and really making me feel cared about. My aunt Sharon sent me a care package of books, popcorn, nuts, and tea. There were so many people who helped me, and I'm sure I'm missing someone, but if I have, I'm sorry. When I was about to come back to work, I sat down and wrote out a ton of thank you cards, but let me just say, I still appreciate everything people did for me. And I'm glad that some of you kept up with my very boring life those three months. Granted, I don't live an exciting life at any time, but at times the time I was off would drag and become mind-boggingly tedious. I spent a lot of time with myself, thinking, and listening to music. I didn't manage to read much or watch videos on Netflix, etc. For those who made it through that period with me, thank you. May I never have to deal with anything like that again. :)

No comments: