Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Having a pleasant evening

  1. Took a short nap after work? Check.
  2. Broke down the window boxes and repotted the remaining plants and brought them in? Check.
  3. Swept the porch and window ledges? Check.
  4. Discovered maintenance had indeed put up a ceiling in my walk-in closet and that my air conditioning thermostat now works properly again? Check.
  5. Watched a hilarious episode of 'The Big Bang Theory' where Amy ruins Raiders of the Lost Ark for Sheldon by pointing out that Indiana Jones was totally irrelevant to the outcome, and he tries to ruin something of hers, finally trying to undercut her through 'Little House on the Prairie' critiques? Check. YKWIA successfully did that for me years ago.
  6. Read some earlier? Check.
I really should do the notes in case we play the game on Sunday. I'm not sure we are. But it would be nice to get it out of the way. Saturday will be pretty busy, and I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow yet. It shouldn't take long, really. I'd also like to do some reading. Also, I have to figure out where to put the plants that were outside. Ideally, it would be on the table in front of the bedroom window. Right now I have some stuffed animals that were displaced when I moved the old TV back there. So they need to go to other places around the house.

I am so glad tomorrow is Friday. It has been a busy week. I feel like I'm not really getting anywhere at work, like I'm spinning my wheels, even though I should be progressing.

In light of the fact that we will probably have some changes to our insurance this coming year, and I probably won't have any insurance the year after that due to the move and my library position not going, I think it's time for a new CPAP machine. Mine is quite old, so old I'm not sure how long I've had it. It may be nearly 15 years old. It is still working now, but doesn't have a built-in humidifier or the newer features that help with comfort and managing the sleep apnea. It could go out at any time. To give you some idea, when I called the sleep centre, they said it had been seven years since I was last there. At that time my machine was easily 5-8 years old. It looks like one of those 70s hair dryers like my mom had, with a hose and it's big and clunky. It just needs the bonnet and a warming unit and I swear it would work just like her dryer. I was told they normally last 3-5 years and that mine was already pretty old then. Since I literally can't sleep without it (I am the rare individual who uses her CPAP religiously, even for naps), and could die from not having it, and with it being so long since I've been seen they may require another sleep study before writing a script for it, which takes time to schedule, etc., I can't take the chance on it dying suddenly. If it dies and I have no insurance, then I won't be able to afford one. Sleeping without it could damage my heart or worse. So I made an appointment and we'll see. I've been very lucky. Here's a link to a suggested CPAP/supply replacement schedule. Granted, it's from a supply company, but I think I've been very lucky to get the life out of mine that I had. I just don't want to be caught without one.

No comments: