Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, February 28, 2013

I really must share something with you that is neat and works!

Answer Line: How to print from Android
One usually doesn't associate printing with phones or tablets, in large part because once you have a portable device, you have less need for paper. But it still occasionally comes in handy.

You can print directly from an Android device with the right Wi-Fi or Bluetooth printer. However, as I don't like to give advice that involves spending large sums of money, I'm going to tell you how to do it with whatever printer you already own. The only expenses will be paper and ink.

There is one caveat: The print job has to go through a computer that can already use that printer. If your PC isn't on when you tell your phone or tablet to print a document or photo, the actual printing won't happen until you next boot the computer.
I tried this. I went through Google's cloud printing service, downloading the recommended application onto my phone and tablet and then configuring the settings within the Google Chrome browser. And, indeed, I was able to print from my phone by 'sharing' a picture to that application. Nifty. The printer in question is not wireless, and the phone in question was on my 4G network, not wi-fi, so I could have printed a page from anywhere and then had it ready when I got home. For example, I could take a picture of something when out and about and send it to the printer.

No comments: