Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 15, 2013

But I should probably be careful about expressing opinions about anyone

(even though that is protected by US law). I give you:

Librarians Rally Behind Blogger Sued by Publisher Over Critical Comments
In 2010, Dale Askey, now a librarian at McMaster University, in Ontario, wrote a blog post about Edwin Mellen Press on his personal Web site, Bibliobrary, referring to the publisher as "dubious" and saying its books were often works of "second-class scholarship." For a few months afterward, several people chimed in in the blog's comments section, some agreeing with Mr. Askey, others arguing in support of the publisher.

In June 2012, Edwin Mellen Press's founder, Herbert Richardson, issued a notice of action to Mr. Askey, suing him for more than $1-million. That same day, the press issued a similar notice of action to Mr. Askey and McMaster University, telling them that they were being sued for $3-million. In the lawsuits, filed in a Canadian court, Mr. Richardson and the press are seeking damages for both the blog post and the comments left by the blog's readers.
So he's being sued personally by the press founder, plus being sued by the press, for comments on a PERSONAL blog. His CURRENT employer is also being sued, even though he was employed at another university, not named in the suit, at the time of publication. Additionally, some comments listed in teh suit are actually not Mr Askey's, but rather ones that were posted by readers.

In the United States, I think this would be considered spurious and thrown out. I don't know enough about Canadian law to know how they would respond. But it has some scary implications for bloggers, and also for librarians and academics who express opinions in their writings. Meanwhile, from the same article:
The Canadian Center of Science and Education is threatening to sue Jeffrey Beall, a librarian at the University of Colorado at Denver, after he included the center and three of its related companies on his blog's list of journals he considers to be "potential, possible, or probable predatory scholarly open-access publishers," which take advantage of academics desperate to get their work published. In separate blog posts, Mr. Beall details why he believes the companies are misleading.
I've had a takedown notice sent to me regarding this blog, from someone from my past who didn't like the comments (which were true) and opinions (which were my own) on the blog. They're a little scary, but sometimes it's just a lot of smoke and no fire. I went through and reviewed what I had written, kept almost all of it here, and tweaked a few so it was clear that they were my opinions. I also do not blog at work because someone (I'm not sure who) once complained about something I wrote (unspecified) while I was on our system. This was several years ago. I never learned what it was, but I suspect it was a comment I related that a friend had said, and one in fact that I disagreed with in the blog entry. So if you ever see a blog entry during the weekday inside normal business hours, I'm apparently off from work. Then again, I only agreed not to blog on their equipment. I can technically do so on my phone and tablet, and see no reason I couldn't when on break, but I haven't anyway. I've been blogging for almost 12 years, and those are really the only two problems I've had. Have you ever encountered people who tried to bully you into silence?

No comments: