Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, May 06, 2004

Wow

I was checking out a blog by a library administrator, Marian the Librarian is Dead, and she mentioned the AFPL Watch, a site devoted to the problems within the Atlanta-Fulton County Public Library System and their much-despised library director, Mary Kaye Hooker.

They should make all library students read this in management class, if for no other reason than to understand what not to do. Wow. The power of the Internet has really been brought to bear, and they've been careful, I think to make sure she can't sue them for libel. I may have to ask my aunt if she knows anything more about this; she's not in Atlanta but she is at a Georgia public library; I'm sure it's made the rounds of their library community.

Things have been pretty bad; a couple of years ago a library manager in the system was murdered and the worker who was being disciplined committed suicide. Apparently a series of events led to the tragedy. Scary, isn't it? It's things like this that make me realise that even with the problems I sometimes encounter, there are a lot worse things that can happen whilst attempting to navigate a career.

No comments: