Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, May 28, 2004

Scary

WKYT 27 NEWSFIRST & WYMT Mountain News - Storms Moving Through; Extensive Damage

We may have had a tornado touch down in Lexington tonight, and new storms are on their way. The damage was primarily on the other side of town from where I live, although when I went to get a friend from work tonight the subdivision a block south of me had no power.

I know someone who just bought a house in Masterston Station, but it seems to have been a different part of that area. Dwana is a little freaked. In addition to her friend Heather's house in Masterston Station, her in-laws live at Mallard Point, her mom and stepdad live near Sadieville, and we have a co-worker who lives on the north end of town where some of the other damage was.

I've always had a phobia of storms--my baby book lists me screaming when there was thunder before I could otherwise verbalise--but over the last few years it's lessened, thanks in part to a concerted effort on my part to deal with them and the my anti-anxiety medication (thank you, Paxil). But my dog has developed a fear of them now--she pants and licks before they hit, then shakes the whole while. I can see where she might have picked the fear up from me--there were plenty of times she felt me stiffen or otherwise express fear; the thing I don't understand, though, is that this is a recent a recent development (since about February or March), at the very time when I'm not having trouble any more. Weird. Anyway, I just try to cuddle up with her and help her through it.

I can hear the new thunder in the distance; I should probably sign off. Oh, one more thing:

Kentucky State Police suspect arson in the 'Castle' FIre, which destroyed one of our local landmarks.

No comments: