Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, May 06, 2004

Must. Take. Break.

listening to: 'I Need Love' by Seal
feeling: Invigorated

I just finished packing my seventeenth (or is it eighteenth?) box of books. Mind you, those are just the ones that were on the table. I haven't even started with the study, where the majority of them are. Last time I estimated, I was at about 3000 books. I think it's grown substantially, despite the fact that I don't think I've bought more than ten books since I moved here. I think they reproduce like bunnies. Actually, I lucked into a schoolroom giveaway and I've had several people give me books since I moved in 3 1/2 years ago. Fortunately the majority of my stuff is books, so once I get them up, a lot of anything left is furniture, paintings, or clothes. A lot of the rest can usually be thrown away.

The animals are terribly intrigued. I'm not sure they recognise the signs yet. Pets react in all sorts of ways when you move. Last time I had responses ranging from howling maniacally when I tried the 'I'm-allergic-to-you-so-I-won't-let-you-into-the-new-bedroom' to 'you-can't-see-me-because-I'm-hiding-under-a-soap-dish'. Cats are especially challenging to move. Cerys tends to stay with friends during the whole take-the-house-apart, because she gets very neurotic if she can't get on the bed, but then when I take her to a new place, she's just laid back, like 'cool, new smells'.

Okay, I should give an update. I went to the apartments over near Dwana's today. Very nice. Much cheaper. Needless to say, I went ahead and applied, and now I'm waiting for the ever-nervewracking credit check. My credit sucks, mainly because I've been underpaid and barely hanging on for so long. But different places look for different things, so it may not be too bad. The good thing? The leasing agent is a librarian. I think we may actually have had classes together--I think she graduated right before I did. So she definitely understood the challenge of getting a library job in this town. She's even worked at our local librarian sweatshop too, which shall remain nameless, but if you're in the area, and you're in library science, you probably know what I'm talking about. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Another bit of good news today; our human resources person called me to let me know that she'd looked at my personal time off hours, which are in the hundreds at this point and unlikely to be used any time soon, and she got approval to let me take a one-time expenditure of extra vacation hours beyond my normal limit so that I'll have some extra money coming up in a week or so. Yay. It won't help my immediate problems, but it'll help me catch up so I won't start a new place behind. As frustrated as I am with the layoffs, it helped remind me of the good at the hospital, too.

*Yawn* I'm getting sleepy. Tomorrow I should hear about the apartment. Which is good, as tomorrow is also the day I should receive my 7-day notice to vacate. I've run errands the last couple of days, but tomorrow I should be able to pack, pack, pack and post some things on E-bay as a sort of virtual garage sale. I have just a little to do before bed and then I think I'll turn in so I can get an early start tomorrow.

No comments: