Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, August 31, 2003

Things I learnt from watching TV today

1) During Carter's presidency, he was apparently attacked by a swimming killer rabbit that he had to beat off with an oar. Somehow, even though I was 13 at the time, I missed that one. Of course, this is also the man who may have reported the planet Venus as a UFO. Poor man. His presidency sucked. None of us at the time wanted to admit we liked him, even the Democrats, even though he was imminently likeable (and unlike many other Democrats, seemed to keep control over his libido). He makes a much better ex-President, I think. And yes, I believe the bunny story. I just think it was an unfortunate funny story that (pun intended) came back to bite him.

2) Florida's underground rivers can--with proper equipment and training--be explored by divers. One in particular has a nifty horizon layer between salt water and fresh water where bacteria live that then provide the basis for other lifeforms without light.

3) Anna Kournikova is not just a hot babe who's good at marketing herself, but also a very good tennis player plagued by injuries.

4) Bentleys are probably the most expensive autos to look genteely beaten up you can find on the planet. And somehow fictional inspectors with family money can run around doing investigations in one. Can you imagine Colombo in a Bentley?

5) The computer mouse was invented when I was three--1970. It looked rather like an unwieldy brick. I bet the computer geeks of the day had trouble with them going through the screens at the time. Oh, right, they had computer banks, punch cards, and those type-writer things I used my first year of college where the computer typed back on paper. Isn't it scary that this was the level of technology that put us on the moon? I mean, my old Atari had about the same amount of RAM as those NASA computers. Remember back when we were going to have moonbases (at least until the nuclear weapon stores exploded, hurtling the moon out of earth's orbit on September 13, 1999)? Yeah. And I'm still waiting for my flying car. Oh. Well. Maybe in my lifetime.

Who says TV isn't educational?

No comments: