Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Blog! Damn you!



For whatever reason, I just don't seem to be writing much lately. Sorry for that. Instead my blog has become this sort of surreal drive-by of news and quizzes. Last week I was a little slackerish anyway...I didn't go to the gym (but then, I was pretty sore from my dog encounter and probably shouldn't have forced it anyway). And I guess things were still sinking in about the whole job issue.

But as, they say, tomorrow is another day, or a next week is another week, I suppose. I feel much better. I'm trying to figure out how to restructure my services to a 4-hour day. And in the meantime, I'm job-seeking, checking with the unemployment office, exploring the possibility of classes, etc. Yesterday I got word that the state job was approved to be posted, although it's still not showing up when I look on the listings. But soon, very soon. I checked with unemployment and so long as I'm looking for full-time work, it shouldn't matter that I'm in school (i.e., I won't screw up my benefits by taking a class or two). Realistically, I think there's no way in hell to go this semester, but maybe in the spring). To wit, I e-mailed the director of the linguistics programme at school. Figured as long as I was tying up loose ends I'd check on a maddenly elusive class I never seemed to be able to fit into my schedule, either undergraduate or graduate. That is LIN 515, phonological analysis. It's only taught during the day, which made it hard to work and fit it in, and unlike my governance and binding class (grammar, not political science, although I know, it sounds like it), I couldn't take it independent study because you have to be able to analyse sounds in class. This class is the only thing I need for my fourth (fifth? I never can tell whether they considered Honours (read Humanities) as a major or not) undergraduate major. I know. Do you need another major? No. But it's the principle of the thing. One class! Argh! Anyway, I asked the director if there was a chance it would be taught in spring. Here's hoping.

Along the way I noticed (not that I plan on pursuing this, but it made me happy) that they've added an Indian Studies programme, with Sanskrit (the one language I studied that I loved but found most challenging and has enough unique nasals to spin my head) as a basic requirement. Yipee! Glad to see Dr Stump will be teaching Sanskrit regularly. Maybe one of these days I'll actually take the whole thing. That and Greek past the aorist. *Hangs head* Yes, I know...it's my dark secret. I am a dabbler in ancient languages without true mastery over any. Well. Actually, I'm pretty good at Latin, although I need to practise my oral skills.

I also went back to the gym today. Saw one of my coworkers there. She's doing the personal-trainer-of-doom option. I probably should have kept my workout fairly short since I hadn't gone in a week, but I got there earlier than normal and I didn't want to take the bus back during Yu-Yu Hakusho. So, I walked for about 15 minutes to warm up, cycled under the random setting (aptly named--you never know when it'll suddenly get harder) for 25 minutes (through Cyber 009), and then went back to the treadmill and walked at a slower, but longer programme during Yu-Yu Hakusho. I wonder if anyone else works out to the Cartoon Network? My knees felt a little weird afterwards. I wish I'd remembered to bring my swimsuit; I could have gone into the hot tub. Still, I had fun and hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow. Then I came on home, after a small detour (the bus as it was leaving the transit centre, got called back to pick up two more passengers who were coming in on a late bus, so we swung around the corner and came back in). Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate the hard work the drivers and others put in so I can get around town. But if I ever won the lottery, one thing I would do is put someone in charge (and pay them/endow the bus system) with the money needed to have buses covering all major parts of this town, running every 15 minutes during the week, and every half-hour during the weekend. Does anyone else out there have a bus system that runs hourly? It's not like Lexington's incredibly big, either. If you've never depended on public transportation to get you anywhere, you may not understand. But I know I'd probably not bother riding if I were elderly or handicapped (two groups that make up a large percentage of the ridership)--it's just too hard to use and if you can't walk very far it's even harder to reliably get anywhere. Oh, and our cab system is way worse. I've known people who wait for 2 hours on a busy day for a cab. Back when I was a cashier at a grocery I used to take a little old lady home if I were getting off when she was there because it cost her something like $8 just to go three blocks, and three hours to do her grocery shopping because of the wait. It's funny how some people will give you a ride, no questions asked, and others will ask where you're going and can't be bothered to go a couple of blocks out of their way. One thing I figured out a long time ago--unless traffic is gridlocked, you're late for an appointment, or you're running on gas fumes, you can transverse this town in about about a half hour and no place within the city limits is really too far out of the way. As I told the lady when she tried to pay me the cabfare, I'd be driving anyway and didn't have to be anywhere at a specific time, I might as well give her a lift. But if you're relying on Lexington's cabs or buses to get you somewhere, a quick trip that takes everyone else about 20 minutes could take up the better part of the afternoon. And like the people who had to make do last week without all of our electric-powered conveniences, sometimes it's important to get a little perspective on what we take for granted. I know spending years without a reliable car I could take outside of the city has certainly given me that perspective. And although I have to admit I'd prefer the convenience and freedom of a car (especially to take on trips), I'm kind of glad I'm not contributing to the SUV-laden 'bigger is better' mentality out there on the road that'll only serve to put more strain on our natural resources. (And even if I did manage to get a car, I'd try to go for the many mpg and gee, if money were no limit, let's go for a hybrid). :)

Okay, I'm confusing writing with babbling. I should go to sleep and leave you alone. Dwana, if you're out there, hope you're feeling better and I see you at work tomorrow. And thanks, Tracy, for the layoff condolences. May NASA (or at least your slice of it) never fear for funding. (Yeah, I figured that'd get a laugh). :)

No comments: