Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, August 31, 2003

Checking in on a long weekend...

Hi again. My weekend so far has gone pretty well. There was a sleepover with movies until really late last night. Then there was Dwana's and my adventure with 'Dancing with Rottweilers' (yes, it's always an adventure). I'm not going into that, except to say that 1) my general lack of grace and a wet, slick pavement led to me yet again falling down. I'm beginning to think this blog is just a matter of filling space in between spills 2) I really admire Dwana, who has recently had surgery and who has been attacked by dogs something like four times in her life ran after a speeding dog to make sure it didn't get hurt, and 3) if you have a speeding Rottweiler bearing down on you, even if you weigh as much as I do, you cannot expect to stop it. Playing chicken with a Rottweiler is not recommended. This evening has been much more sedate; I took a nap since I forgot my CPAP machine and I never get the rest I need without it--maybe because I could stop breathing at any moment, gee sleep apnea is fun.

I've been watching VH1's 'I Love the 70s' marathon, revisiting my childhood, etc. I was 3 in 1970 and 13 by the end of the decade, so the 70s were my formative years. I think it's why I'm so peace and love and weird. Which is funny, since it was a fairly violent, dirty kind of decade. But I experienced pop culture mainly through kid's shows and folk music. I missed all the pre-AIDS sex and drugs and rock n' roll, being young and in a family that switched to country about the time music switched from anti-war anthems to long, drawn-out guitar solos that can only be the result of too much drugs. One thing about watching the show, though, is you get an interesting look at what was, and through today's commercials, what is. I saw a completely scary commercial for something I don't even remember where a woman dreams about Irish step dancing with a line of William Shatners. That's not a dream. That's a nightmare. Also, what's up with eBay's commercials to 'My Way'? Is the oeconomy so bad that the auction giant has to roll out cheesy commercials about losers who have nothing better to do than buy stuff online? It doesn't encourage me, let's put it that way.

There's a guy on the show Hal Sparks, who is also on Showtime's 'Queer as Folk', who at one point made the comment that he grew up here in Kentucky. Curious, I checked it out, and he's from Peak's Mill, which is roughly between Frankfort and Owenton (where my family lives). I could so connect with his talk of growing up where the next-door neighbour was a quarter-mile away. I grew up on Air Force bases, but whenever my father was overseas (most of the first half of the 70s, with Vietnam) I was with my family, generally in that area or down in Boyle County. Small world.

Right now, they're on 1979 and talking about Pop Rocks. I loved those things--and I remember the allure of eating them with soda and wondering if we'd explode. Hey, it was a more innocent time for dares.

Ah, the 70s. Bad clothes, bad hair. But it was a fun decade. Kids today have no idea.

No comments: