Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, August 03, 2003

A couple of notes on the blog



If you ever have trouble with the page not showing everything to the end, go to your browser menu where you can change the text size and click on whichever you like. This should make it work. I don't know why it does it; maybe it's just an Internet Explorer issue, but it occurred to me that some of you may be having the same problem that I do.

Also, the other day I posted an Amber Alert on my blog because it was the first one we had in this area and several of you who read this are in Kentucky. I'll probably post future ones, but I'm not going to pass on the victim's name. I think the Amber Alert is a great idea, and the ticker is, too. But there's a certain ethical dilemma in terms of what happens when an alert is issued and you later find the victim, but there's been a sexual assault? This happened in the case the other day. I also remember when the two girls from the Lancaster, CA area (near Edwards AFB, where I used to live) were found, thanks to the alert, but then what do the media who want to respect the privacy of a rape victim do when it's apparent that's happened, and the names have been all over the place? Since this blog gets archived, I'm going to err on the side of caution but provide links to the actual alert if possible. Hopefully it won't be a common issue. Just wanted to let you know, though.

No comments: