Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, August 11, 2003

I love the British...



Even when they find they must charge to remain in business, they do it with typical wit:

bmj.com Delamothe and Smith 327 (7409): 241

An excerpt:

. Non-BMA members whose libraries do not yet subscribe to the BMJ have nearly 18 months to persuade them to do so, or to save up for a personal subscription.

:) Although it's a shame they're going to have to charge for access, I find I can't really complain too much. The BMJ has bucked current trends for years by allowing anyone to access their content online, for free. They seem to be dedicated to keeping that access free for those practising in developing countries who do not have the other resources for information available here. How many publishers do you know that still feel a mandate to get information to the places it's most desperately needed, for free? :)

On a sadder note, for me, I was going through some of my back mail and realised I'd overlooked a notice that Victoria magazine, devoted to all things Victorian and the charm of that era, has ceased publication. It was an American publication, but full of much Anglophilia. I've both subscribed and gathered them like fresh vegetables at the grocery store; they're sort of a secret vice, full of cottages, writers-in-residence, quaint stores, etc.--all promoting a certain lady-like entrepreneurship for those of us who haven't sold our souls to the latest fads but prefer the timeless classics--Victorian style but for a modern age. Most 'home' or 'fashion' magazines I've read were recycled or discarded quickly. These I've kept, because they cheer me whenever I go back through them. Sigh. It makes me want to fix a lovely tea in memoriam.

No comments: