Translate

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

It's not fair...and both at 80, good long lives, but still....

The first time I saw Tim Curry in the movie theatre, I didn't actually know what he looked like — but that voice, the acting, the sheer dripping villainy! This was before I saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show. This is from Legend, the 1985 motion picture directed by Ridley Scott and starring Tom Cruise and Mia Sara. Tim Curry plays the evil Darkness. I think they used every bit of glitter, blossom, and feather known to man, raining down gently to make it seem more magical. But I adored it. My roommate thinks it's an awful movie. But this--along with Dark Crystal,  Labyrinth, and Ladyhawke--were the movies I watched in the 80s--not Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, Footloose, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, or The Breakfast Club (to this day, I've only seen the last three because my friend sat me down many years later and made me). I was very into fantasy--especially books--at the time. I did do sci-fi, too, so I adored all the "Back to the Future" movies, but still... And somewhere along the way, I somehow missed The Princess Bride until the late 90s, when other friends introduced me to that wonderful movie.

But I digress...

RIP Tim Curry. You gave us Darkness, Frank'N'Furter, The Butler from Clue, so many more. You were a comedic genius and a wonderful evil villain. And you were always entertaining. You met a debilitating stroke and paralysis with humour (he lived 14 years with the aftermath), and still made us laugh. You will be missed. May you live on in film and in the hearts of those you touched.

 

No comments: