Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 10, 2023

On a suggestion from Beck's book

I made an 'Advantages Response Card' to read at least twice a day, especially before mealtimes.  Here's what's on it regarding why I want to lose weight, including the rating, signified by a number of asterisks.  This is based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) principles:

  1. I'll be happier when I look in the mirror. * 
  2.  I won't feel so self-conscious. **
  3. I'll be in better health. ***
  4. I'll be more likely to live longer. ***
  5. I'll feel better physically. **
  6. I'll like myself more, ***
  7. I'll feel more in control. **
  8. I'll feel like I've accomplished something important. **
  9. I'll be able to move around better. ***
  10. I'll feel more confident. **
  11. I'll feel better in my body. **
  12. I won't hurt as much. ***

 As you can see, most of mine are physical, but with better consequences emotionally as well, especially regarding my self-image and self-confidence.  So far it looks like it will be helpful.  I've put it on an index card, my phone, and my Kindle, and here, to review before mealtimes.

No comments: