Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Cool beans

I just spent two and a half hours cleaning my room, which didn't look too messy at all, until you started deep cleaning. Like putting the laundry away, I decided to completely redo my closet and drawers. Even my underwear and socks are organised by colour now. I rearranged the nightstand drawers. I rearranged the cedar chest, moved most of the books on top of the bed bookcase to the inside, and wound up taking several bags of stuff to the car to take to storage, filling up the trunk. Amazing what one can pack away or acquire in just four months. Of course, we're planning to exchange everything between what's in the living room (my room) and the library (which currently has a large computer desk, a table, four chairs, and large wing-back chair, along with three walls of built-in bookshelves). That would give me a bona fide bedroom with a door. My closet would still be in the entry, but still. That does mean taking the bed apart this weekend. But I think it will be worth it, and there are even six shelves I can use.

Of course, this means we won't be playing the game on Sunday, as most of the move will have to be after Sabbath, so Saturday night and Sunday during the day.  This works out fine, as I'm actually helping out at work doing some overtime on Saturday.

One other great thing.  The precursor to this is that the cable will have to be moved to a position in front of the living room window so we can move the desk there and he can use the computer there.  That's set for tomorrow, I think.  He asked about another connexion, like a second modem, and the lady convinced him that the best thing to do would be to have a wireless router hooked up and use the Internet wirelessly.  Of course, that would be Wi-Fi, which he's normally terribly against, but she convinced him (where I was not able to), that the computer he uses should not be compromised in the way that say, mine would be, if someone hacked the Wi-Fi, since his  connexion would be completely wired.  So I can take the stuff to the storage unit and go hunting for the wireless router I already have, and then I can get on through Wi-Fi, and use the printer wirelessly, rather than having to use my phone hotspot, like I am now, and I can still use the laptop in the kitchen if I like, and won't have to hook up to his wired connexion via Ethernet adapter.

This also opens up the possibility of bringing my television, which is small (32") but is a Smart TV that plays Netflix, etc., via Wi-Fi.  And I could hook up my little DVD player to it, and actually watch the DVDs, without having to hook up my old, somewhat loud DVD-ROM player to my laptop.  I can just shut the door (I never play the TV very loud, whereas he's a little hard of hearing, so if he watches something on the computer, you'll hear it throughout the whole house.  This also means I can listen to music without headphones in my room.  I'm excited.

The one caveat is he needs access to the books in the library, at any time, day or night.  It's a good tradeoff, I think.  He'd never consider invading my space as far as opening drawers or looking through my stuff, of course, although I have given him permission to go into the cedar chest (which is his, after all, I'm just borrowing it) for the heating pad, should he need it.

Hmmm...this could really work out, hopefully.

No comments: