Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, October 20, 2007

And they were flying to the Air Force Base where I grew up

VOA News - Pentagon: Nuclear Warheads Domestic Flight was 'Serious Error'

which is a little scary. I mean, I knew my father wore a radiation badge while loading bombs, but I guess I didn't really understand nuclear weapons back then. So Barksdale is where you send nukes to be destroyed. No wonder I, a child of the Cold War, never worried about surviving a nuclear attack--I knew we were up there in terms of targeting. It's one of the centres of the Strategic Air Command and the base of operations for the 8th Air Force, if I remember. It also has a honking big missile set up like an obelisk right as you go onto the base. Ah, the good old days. Did I mention the lakes filled with water moccasins and alligators (okay, one alligator, named Old George, I think) and the pine woods full of copperheads? It's amazing I lived through my childhood.

No comments: