Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, November 12, 2006

After 25 years, it's

Curtains for Shakespeare here in Lexington. Our summer Shakespeare programme is closing up shop, citing declining business and increasing expenses. They wanted to end it while they were still in the black.

I haven't been to Shakespeare in the Park since they moved out of Woodhill to the Arbouretum and started charging. I suppose that makes me a poor supporter of the arts. I just preferred the old, simply staged shows and back before I had a car I really couldn't get to the Arbouretum, which isn't near a bus stop. Later it was a matter of fighting the crowds and problems with the weather that tended to discourage me. But it's still sad to think that our town is now bereft of this institution. It's closing came as a surprise for most. I wonder what my friend Brenda, who has costumed for several shows, thinks of it.

Sad.

No comments: