Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, November 02, 2006

This seems like a delightful story

Welcome to The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

one I would have loved as a child, and would probably love now. I'm glad someone mentioned it on one of my library lists, as I had not heard of it. I also like that the vocabulary is not dumbed down...one of the words in the very first chapter is ennui, another is condescending.

It is the story of a china rabbit with rabbit fur-wire ears and wonderful silk suits with a working pocketwatch. He is adored by his owner, a young girl, but is lost overboard from The Queen Mary due to some boys' pranks. From there he is found (and lost again) several more times, all the time learning to appreciate what he has had and lost.

The website has an excerpt (chapter one) and a teacher's guide. It's rather well done.

It's a new book, one I definitely would like to pick up. Perhaps you would, too.

No comments: