Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, April 28, 2003

Oh, happy day!

1. Dwana surprised me with a Fazoli Freezi for lunch.
2. I received the last of my birthday presents (this one from myself) in the mail from my book club--Elizabeth Peters' new novel, Children of the Storm.
3. I finally got back online from home.

And in recent news...

My mom got married!!! I called her last night and it was official on the 18th. So John is officially my stepdad, even though I adopted him a long time ago. I don't think they're letting it go to their heads. Ah, young love. :)

One good thing about losing my ATM card is that I have a new one and my credit union's finally gotten on the debit card bandwagon, so I can use it at places other than an ATM--a very good thing when you're a pedestrian and your bank is a couple of miles away. :)

The weather has been great this weekend, especially considering we had a deluge on Friday night. Today it was in the 80s. The ducks are back for the season (they tend to lay eggs around home and work because we're next to a reservoir and creek. The kids in the complex played lots of soccer in the courtyard. I'm not entirely certain the grass will hold up. But it's great to see them out and doing things rather than sitting around playing video games.

I say that somewhat guiltily because that's basically what I did this weekend. Sat around I mean. (And I did play a few video games). This was the first weekend in recent memory when I had absolutely nothing to do. Pretty much everyone I knew was either out of the country or visiting family. I used that opportunity to actually sleep in/get some well-needed rest. Unfortunately, I also got off on my schedule, which pushed my blood sugar up. Even if I eat okay and take my medicine, that can happen. Saturday I moved a lot of my living room around, giving birth to the mother of all asthma attacks (well, one of the worst I've had, but not so bad as to go to hospital, etc.) I've found that taking albuterol followed by going onto the CPAP (which sends a continual stream of filtererd air into you) seems to really help. I usually try it when I'm home because the filter takes out the dust and other stuff that's setting me off.

Oh, if you get National Geographic, check out May's issue. The Bluegrass region is highlighted, especially pertaining to the horse industry. It's a very...hmm...good account of a big part of our oeconomy and culture, but just so you know we don't all sip on mint juleps. I haven't actually been to a horse race since I've been back in Kentucky, something I probably should remedy--Keeneland is nearby and it's very unusual these days; it's traditional air is one reason why it was used in the recent filming of the upcoming movie Seabiscuit, starring Tobey Maguire. But I learned a long time ago that I am a terrible bettor (bettrix?), I'm not really into the spectacle of the crowds, and I have...an allergy to horses.

I am, however, interested in an exhibit running through August at the Kentucky Horse Park called "All the Queen's Horses". It includes armour from Henry VIII's horse, giant chesspieces, etc. I'm still kicking myself for not making it to the China display a couple of years ago, which really was a once-in-a-lifetime chance. Many of those pieces have not even been seen by the public in China.

Well, hopefully one of these days soon I'll be able to afford a car that will get me to such things.

Time to go. I have a raging headache (no doubt due to the rain that's due tomorrow) and I think it's time to take something. 'Night.

No comments: