Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, May 21, 2002

Oy...



Well, I didn't do quizzes last night to unwind from DBT. Instead, I lit some candles, turned the lights down, set my fan to "breeze" (it's hypnotic), turned on a little tabletop fountain, lit some incense, and put my Eastern/New Agey CD in to softly play. Instant relaxation, which was good, because it had been a very long Monday. Then after I let the candles burn a few minutes I blew them out because I was getting v e r y s l e e p y and didn't want to burn my house down. It was a good call; I fell asleep on the couch immediately and woke up at 3 am (9pm when I dropped off). Then I got up and wrote the first chapter of a story that's been rattling around in my brain for awhile, and went back to sleep at 5.

Even though it had been a typical Monday, it wasn't so bad. One of my co-workers tried to bully me into doing a project for her right then, but I told her there were higher priority requests ahead and that I could have the results to her by Friday. Then I wrote it up in my interpersonal effectiveness homework because it's the closest thing I've had to conflict this week. I had a good session at DBT. We get a week off (next week's Memorial Day). I brought Jason, the therapist who's leaving, a little stuffed hedgehog that holds a heart that says "You're special". Yeah, I know it's cheesy. But it made it into my hands, and someday he'll probably find someone who needs it more. In the meantime, he can keep it on his desk for those times he'll need it. Face it, he's working on a Ph.D. in clinical psychology. He'll need it at some point.

Today was a sort of Monday redux, but at the same time almost Friday-like. Our Spanish class had a reunion with our teacher from last year for a luncheon, one of my co-workers had a send-off party (she's moving to Los Alamos, New Mexico), and I saw two former co-workers, a husband and wife, before they left for North Carolina. He's a prosthetist who'd been looking for a job since November. They're both great people and I wish them luck. So, we had receptions and parties all day. My only meeting lasted just 10 minutes because we all wanted to go to one of the receptions. :)

One of the other librarians in the system, from Chicago, called me from Dallas, where they're having the Medical Library Association national conference. They definitely want to see me there next year. I'll have to figure some way to build it into the budget. Next time it's in San Diego, which I never got to visit when I lived in California. I'd love to go back to the West Coast for a few days. If I could only figure a way to do it without flying! Maybe a rail trip across the Southwest? Granted, a train car is a small box that hurtles through space just like a plane, but at least it's on land. :)

Well, I need to get ready to go over to D's to watch the showdown between Buffy and Willow. The bus leaves in a half hour and my dog would probably like to go for a walk first. I'll probably write later tonight.


No comments: