Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, May 26, 2002

My list of things to do...



Awhile back Zabet and I came up with lists of things we would do if we ever lost weight. I found mine again while cleaning today. I have to give her Hubby credit; he did say that we could do all of those things now--although I would argue that my knees and Tai Chi are mutually exclusive at the moment. Most of mine are physical, mainly because I know that if I wasn't lugging around an extra 100 lbs I'd have more energy. Anyway, here's my list. I'll update if I do any of it (whether or not I lose weight):

1. Take up fencing. (I loved this in high school, but we didn't have any masks that could go over my glasses. I'd like to do it without being blind).
2. Learn bellydancing. (Yes, I could do this now, and it would help tone. But I'd be doing it around other people!)
3. Wear something stunning and skimpy on the midriff and upper arms (Again, I could, but would you want to see it?)
4. Go to the Unitarian church. (This may seem odd. This actually means parade myself in front of a small subset of people at the church in Lexington who tended to equate weight with stupidity. Their attitude, incidentally, does not jive with the church's in general. They were wrong, of course, and I don't have to prove my intelligence to them. But I would like to see their mouths drop open, especially if I were wearing the aforesaid outfit.)
5. Learn to stand on my head. (I've done this once, in high school, after 45 minutes of coaching from a very patient Mr. Amos.)
6. Ride a horse.
7. Go ice skating.
8. Take up a martial art...
9. ...and finally do tai chi! (I can do yoga, but I can't do that one move in tai chi where you keep your knees bent and stand).
10. Dance. A lot...
11. Go skinny dipping at the beach.
12. Have a really great, extended bout of lovemaking because my stamina would be better.
13. Climb monkey bars. (Okay, I guess that's left over from childhood, where I was a little too chunky to do it gracefully).

I think everyone should have to put on one of those fat suits and try to do things that involve stamina, grace, or balance with the added weight. That said, I know the only way for me to take off that weight is to continue to 1) take my blood sugar medicine 2) exercise regularly 3) and eat like I'm supposed to. Number two is the hardest for me. But I know that the more I've been walking lately, the more energy I've had in general, so maybe I can. In the end, too, it's not about looking great, but feeling great. My aunt just became the second one in the family to go on insulin, and I want to try to prevent that for me if I can. I'm lucky that I got my diagnosis of insulin resistance in my 30s and I'm on the medication 20-30 years before my other family members, so maybe I can prevent some of the damage it can cause. Incidentally, if you reach this page looking for info on insulin resistance syndrome, also known as syndrome X, e-mail me. I run a discussion list on it and have done countless searches on it. I can send you links to check out if you'd like. I know what it's like to know there's something wrong but no one knows why.

No comments: