Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Five favourite chapter books from my childhood

Near my bed are bookshelves with children's books and science fiction/fantasy, along with mysteries. Looking at the kids' books, I am struck by five chapter books which were absolutely memorable and which had an effect on the person I later developed into. Here they are (in no particular order):

The Cay by Theodore Taylor
The Light in the Forest by Conrad Richter
Sounder by William H.Armstrong
Black Gold by Marguerite Henry
The Grey King by Susan Cooper

What five chapter books do you consider integral to your childhood?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
The Black Stallion by Tim Farley
A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle

Eilir said...

All excellent books! I love Madeleine L'Engle and Laura Ingalls Wilder especially. Oddly enough, I somehow missed Warner's books as a child. I'm not sure how that happened at all.