Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Happy harvest moon

It's hard to believe autumn will be here tomorrow. It was cool a few days ago, much like fall, but it's been pretty warm and humid today. I'm so glad I put the air conditioning back on last night--I've been warm all day, and I've driven around in the car a lot, plus my friends had their windows open but I just couldn't seem to catch a breeze.

***Warning to guys who are sensitive on this matter: Commencing to write about gynaecological stuff***

Today after work I went to a new (for me) gynaecology practice--my least favourite kind of doctor's appointment so far. They took a fairly detailed history and the physician assistant gave me a thorough exam. Good news is, I should get the results of most of my tests in a few days. The bad news is, I was strongly urged to get a colonoscopy as the result of one of the in-house tests. I had hoped to put that off a few more years (I'm only 46). That may lead to yet a less-favourite kind of doctor's visit. :) But I did get my Pap, and an order for my mammogramme, and some encouragement about doing better and more frequent breast self-examinations. They also did some blood work to determine if I'm going into menopause yet, because I'm so hot so often and I'm starting to have a few issues with my cycle. One good thing is although my family is supercharged with diabetes genes, I'm not aware of any gynaecological cancers in our family on either side, and so I wasn't a candidate for any genetic testing, which was fine with me. If I'd met the criteria, of course, I'd have wanted to be tested in a heartbeat.

Before and during the appointment, I got news that one of my family members had a major health scare today that fortunately turned out not to be as serious as it could have been. I do hope everything is alright and that he gets a clean bill of health. It's downright scary when people younger than me have that kind of scare.

After the appointment, I hurried across town to the pharmacy to get some pen needles and medicines, then I got some gas at Kroger, and then picked up some fish dinners for friends and myself. I went over there and watched an episode of 'Alphas' and visited for awhile, and then came on home about 9 or 9:30.

I did not get to the YMCA, of course. I'm going to try to go tomorrow instead. I will make it eventually. Today was just so busy, and frankly, I didn't so much feel like working out after being poked and prodded in my lady parts (although the PA was really careful not to cause too much discomfort, unlike some places to which I've gone. One visit to a place over on Harrodsburg Road years ago nearly sent me off the table, out of the stirrups, and I wound up going home and curling up in a ball for hours, it was so bad.)

Anyway, at least that's over for another year, hopefully. I do go back in two weeks to discuss my blood work and other test results. But there shouldn't be any further examination for awhile.

My neck is bothering me. I think I'm going to get into my pyjamas, turn on some music for awhile, maybe read and relax for a bit before bed. Good night.

No comments: