Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I'm coughing but generally am back in the land of the living

I actually went over to help a friend with some stuff yesterday, and tonight I've stayed up, watching the second episode of 'Being Human' (the UK version) and going through my Netflix queue and rating movies and series. See, on the 13th I finally made the plunge and started a free month's worth of Netflix streaming and DVD service. Six days later, the company announced that it was separating the two services into Netflix (streaming content) and the silly name of Quickster (for DVDs). Blame me. Yes, sir. I broke Netflix.

The thing is, while that's all annoying, the idea of watching things on my own schedule is really quite appealing. There have only been a few of things I've thought of that I can't find on Netflix ('Cast a Deadly Spell', 'Judging Amy', and 'Lou Grant', none of which have made it to DVD). Many of the things YKWIA has introduced me to, but which we've never had a chance to sit down and really watch now that I'm on the bus, are on there. Whole series I was interested in but never caught, are on one or both services. That's how I watched 'Sherlock' (Brenda clued me in on that one). All those 'Doctor Who' episodes I missed, or the earlier 'Buffy', or 'Eureka', or 'Bones', 'True Blood', or 'Lost'--they're all there. They even have 'H2O'. And it's pretty reasonably priced, even with the price hikes I've heard about. It's a lot less than I pay for cable television--just under $16 a month for both. Maybe it doesn't seem so bad because I didn't know any better, what it was like before. Anyway, for now I'm going to keep it. It's the perfect thing for a girl who's never seen Forrest Gump or Sixteen Candles. (Yeah, I know. I'm the only one in the world, probably.)

No comments: