Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, September 25, 2011

'Trust me, I'm a librarian'

I was on my way home tonight on the bus and there was a man, a regular bus rider, with a DVD that was due back to the library today. The library was closed, there was no layover for the bus like there is during the rest of the week (usually it sits for a few minutes at the library stop, and if that were the case he could have walked up the hill, put it in the drop, and come back down). The last pullout for the buses was 8:20 and we were on the 7:20 bus [the penultimate bus], meaning he couldn't get back and transfer to another bus if he got off, because the next bus (coming in an hour) would have simply headed back to the garage after that stop.

He and the bus driver talked about various ideas along the way. When we got to the library stop, she said she wouldn't be able to do a layover--the bus was right on time, not early. Since I was getting off to go home anyway, I told him to give it to me and I would put it in the drop box. 'Trust me,' I said, 'I'm a librarian.' I've always wanted to say that.

The surprising thing is he did, handing me the DVD case after making sure both discs were inside. I guess I looked trustworthy and, well, like a librarian. Most people wouldn't trust a total stranger to do something like that for them. But he did. I climbed up the hill, put it in the drop, and walked home. When I called YKWIA, he was astounded that anyone would just hand over the DVD.

We got to wondering what evil I could put my trustworthy face and occupation to (okay, just kidding, mu-ha-ha-ha).

Years ago, I wound up at someone's place after work, staying till quite late at night, without calling a friend. He had the police out looking for me, both campus and metro. Usually of course, they wouldn't have done so, it being a few hours at most. Could I be in a bar? No, she doesn't drink. On a date? Hah! But he used the magic words, you see, 'She's a librarian.' Turns out the policeman's wife was a librarian, and this spurred him to action. Meanwhile, I came slinking home at 4 am after being quite naughty to find my friend pacing in my living room thinking I was dead. I think he's finally forgiven me for that. :) Maybe. But I think I almost got throttled that night.

No comments: