Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, September 22, 2011

So I've gone into bronchitis

That lovely stage of illness when you're not really contagious any more but you cough like mad. Fortunately I'm not coughing every moment, but if I go without something to drink or a cough drop (which I am now out of, should have picked some up at the store earlier), within about five minutes I start to hack. It's enough to make me tired, but generally I'm feeling better than I had, even pre-cough.

I've taken a co-worker's suggestion and gotten some garlic and honey to mix for nighttime. I feel like something's just sitting on my chest. I went in for a diabetes check-up today, had my insulin adjusted, and they gave me a shot in my hip that really hurt, although I'm not quite sure what the point was, since it was an antibiotic and the original infection was almost certainly viral, and it probably just contributes to antibiotic resistance. I guess with my asthma they didn't want to take a chance of it worsening. I've never had this antibiotic before (it's in one of those families where if you're allergic to penicillin they warrant caution). I do know it hurt quite as much as I remember them hurting as a child; haven't had one as an adult. But I kept a stiff upper lip and wasn't a weenie, for which I was proud. When I was a kid, I'd cry, scream, and run and hide. Now I remember why.

I just hope it clears up soon. When I was younger, about every 3-5 years I'd wind up with a case of bronchitis for about 6-8 weeks at a time. :( And things don't get better as you age, let me tell you. On the other hand, I haven't been sick in awhile, so I guess I can't complain. Even my allergies have been...okay. After this clears up and once October starts, I'll take my flu shot, too.

I so should have watched the last episode of the 'Being Human' disc I have out tonight so I could mail it back tomorrow (it's easier to mail things from work; I have one of those keyed mailboxes that aren't conducive to outgoing mail, and no mail drop box nearby). But considering I had little sleep last night I suppose I should be happy I've been productive. And we did a big grocery run earlier and I got my own groceries for a change, enough to hopefully last a couple of weeks.

Tomorrow I've got to put this place back into some semblance of order, as my illness means I pretty much have strewn things all over. At least I finally watered the plants. I may have lost a couple, though. Thank goodness the only pets I have at the moment are goldfish. :)

Okay, I think I'll go on to bed. Have a good night, and a good tomorrow. And hey, it's the end of the week to look forward to.

No comments: