Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, August 01, 2011

Came across this photo today


I was three years old, and apparently quite taken with flowers even then.

Today has been a little, well, odd. On the one hand, several things happened that made me feel good emotionally. On the other, I've been physically feeling a bit blah, with my stomach a little touchy and my blood sugar elevated. My appointment is next week, so maybe we can take care of the high glucose, which has been a problem ever since they stopped my oral meds. But hey, it's Monday, what could I possibly expect? I did eat very healthy for the most part (I did have an ice cream treat midway through the day, and I suppose that blows healthy eating all to hell).

The weekend went well. I schlepped up and down Richmond Road getting lots of errands done Saturday, then got up early Sunday (5 am), went to Kroger, went over to prepare for the game (clean house), and then played the game until about 10:30 at night. I was so tired when I got home, and my blood sugar was even worse yesterday, and my insulin pen ran out of medicine; I didn't realise how low it was and didn't have another one me. So I'm surprised I was coherent at all. I did fairly well early in the day but kind of slid as it progressed.

It's been a quiet night. I meant to do laundry, but didn't manage to make myself do it. I'm going to try to wake up early so I'm not up late doing it. I have physical therapy at 7:30, and so I'll have to get up at 5 or 5:30 to get it done.

I went outside just a little while for something and the air is alive with the sounds of insects and the hum of air conditioners. It's been hot, but not nearly as bad as the last couple of weeks. Tomorrow it may get up to 96, but without the treacherous humidity spiking the heat index. I feel so sorry for the folks in the Midwest who are in triple digits. In the summer of 1980 I lived in Kansas when we had over 60 days of over 100 degrees temperature. It was awful. My mom cooked on a hibachi in her swimsuit to keep the house cool. People were dropping like flies and people who were elderly or shut ins were checked on and given fans or air conditioners if needed. Thank goodness for air conditioning and the electricity to run it.

I've been taking a class on mobile resources in libraries and sat down today to do the second segment, then went back to the first and watched the videos, which included histories of the PDA, the mobile phone, and mobile computing. I had to watch the videos, ironically enough, on my phone because YouTube is (understandably, I suppose) blocked at work. The class runs till October, I think, and so far has been very interesting.

I sat down and really planned out what I need to accomplish in the library this week. One of the things is to tackle an area of withdrawn books and general I-don't-know-where-to-put-this stuff on shelves so that I can get it looking better, remove old manuals that people might think are up-to-date, clear up some room for my binders on my desk, and make room for some children's books (I have a medical library, but I oversee an early literacy project in the clinic as well) that are currently under and next to my desk. It's the only area of the library that is questionable in terms of being in order. I've recently straightened up my storage cabinet, my storage bins, and desk, so it seems a good time to do that.

Okay, if I'm going to get up really early, I should try to go to sleep now. Have a good night.

No comments: