Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Oh, I was starting to get mad

I got paid tonight so I looked at my bank statement and all was fine and good till I looked down the page and saw an insufficient fund charge of $36 for the balance of my purchase of The Help, which after the tax and the rest of the gift card balance, was 40 cents. One, I thought that it had already gone through, with my account positive, although it must not have, because it didn't get out of pending until day before yesterday, and I purchased the book on the 16th. Two, $36 for going under 20 cents with a 40 cent charge? Come on!

Then I looked up a bit and I saw an automatic refund of the insufficient fund charge, leaving my account at negative twenty cents before I got paid. Whew! That was close!

So I am reassured that my bank does not charge such a high amount for such a small debit. I don't know what the thresh hold is (that's what it was called, a fee thresh hold refund), probably $1 or so. But whew!

But at least I have money for the IRS, my remaining bills, and food. The rent will be a couple of days late, going with next payday, but after that I think I'm back on track.

PS Update (8/26/2011): I got a letter today from the bank telling me what they did. The thresh hold is apparently $5, incidentally, which I guess is good to know. Hopefully I won't be down that low for awhile. Which reminds me, I have to pay a couple of bills tonight. :)

2 comments:

Ahkenaten Kor said...

Ever notice how a low or negative account balance affects your mood? It's almost as if you ARE your account balance. Feels like that sometimes to me.

Eilir said...

Oh, most definitely! Every time my pay hits my account, my self-esteem and mood raise by several points. When it's low--or worse--negative, I feel incapable and down lower than mere worry should make it.