Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Okay, I know it is totally ludicrous to be sad about this, but...

Okay, I get that I'm on insulin. I'm giving myself the shots. I feel so much better. All that is fine. But today I got an e-mail from the bone marrow registry saying that as a result of my health update, they were removing my name from the registry and my tissue type will no longer be used to search for matches. I know they do this for donor safety. I know that it's a good thing. But it makes me a little sad, and I guess tonight I'm feeling that in some small way my life has changed. Granted, I'd probably never have been matched with a recipient, but still, that little insulin pen means I never will be.

On the brighter side, there's no reason I can't donate blood. And I really am feeling much, much better. And now I'm glad I signed up for AFLAC when I did, because I probably couldn't now. :)

If you're interested in replacing me on the registry, go to http://www.marrow.org. You never know when one small step could mean saving a life.

No comments: