Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, February 10, 2011

I'm having a slight reaction where I inject my insulin

My abdomen is a bit itchy and blotchy with small red areas where I've been injecting. I'll check with Dr Nesbitt to make sure it's not a sign of allergy, but it may just mean I've irritated the skin by relying on just my abdomen so far, so I've rotated to my upper arm. It's best, apparently, to keep to one general area (but rotate within) for one to two weeks before moving to a new one so your blood sugars don't vary too much. But I've been injecting just in my abdomen (after all, there's a lot of it) since I started on insulin about four weeks ago, so I figured it was time to change.

As far as I can tell, the SoloSTAR pens, which are used with Lantus and Apidra (although separately, of course), don't appear to have latex in them, which is a concern for me. So, I'll see what my doctor says. It's itched since about the second or third day, but I didn't get the red spots until the last day or two. Of course, it may be getting red because I'm scratching occasionally, although I'm trying to avoid that. I go back next Wednesday. Like I said, it's very mild, but I'm going to call tomorrow just to be on the safe side, assuming I get out of my podiatrist appointment before they close up shop (it's their short day). Come to think of it, my podiatrist is right next door (literally, in the same hallway), so I could just stop by and ask.

Meanwhile, I've decided to come clean to my podiatrist and just show up sans boot and explain that I haven't worn it for about a week to ten days, so I've been non-compliant. But my joints in that leg were hurting worse than the foot due to the change in gait. My foot does feel much better, with just twinges now and then (in other words, about normal).

We have a really light clinic day on Monday. I'm thinking about taking off that day, although I still have to get up early for a 9 am mammogramme. (Yes, I know, the only thing I'll be showing my breasts to on Valentine's Day is a machine that squishes them. Sad, yes, sad indeed.

Okay, I'd better eat something. I took my Apidra a few minutes ago.

No comments: