Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 04, 2011

Philanthropy Friday #4

National Marrow Donor Program Be the Match Foundation: $10

Like I wrote before, I'd been on the Bone Marrow Donor Registry for years but had to go off when I went on insulin, because my health would be impacted should I be called to donate. They understandably take a conservative approach to ensure the health of donors as well as recipients.

But that doesn't mean I can't help in other ways. I'm in between paycheques this week so it's a small donation, but every little bit helps. This donation helps research, recruiting donors, and providing aid to patients who need help with medical expenses.

What could help even more is that YOU could sign up to be a marrow donor. One way to do so is tell them at the blood bank next time you go to donate blood. They'll take an extra phial and your sample's information will be added to the registry. That's how I got to be a donor. Or you can go to NMDP's web page for more information. Especially consider doing so if you are a member of a minority or of mixed race, if your health is good, because there are fewer donors registered who match for these people needing a transplant. Be sure to spread the word about marrow donation as well.

No comments: